Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Log 843.49.....

Well since I'm not working because I haven't heard from anyone about work, I guess I'll have to write some stuff in my blog. You'll see a surge of blog posts if I'm not working as much as I would like to.

Yeah, I don't like the feeling of not working because well my body feels like crap. I know when I work and I have to get up early and I stayed up late the night before, my body feels like crap too. But this is horrendous. It feels like I have the flu but really I don't.

I watched It Happened One Night via Netflix's instant watch. It was a really good movie. I laughed and was touched by Clark Gable and Claudette Colbert. I originally hate watching Clark Gable because of Gone With the Wind. I hated that movie. I also hate the Wizard of Oz. I like very few movies that are older than 1970. The movie was also in black and white -- which was a bit difficult for me because I always feel that black and white movies are the most frightening of them all. I guess mostly they can't rely on using blood to describe a scene. You can't see a gruesome image, but you do hear sounds. Sound effects are mightier than an image. As you can imagine hearing something crawl on the wall comparing to actually watching something crawl on the wall. Some techniques of seeing something works. An example for me? Let's say the camera is concentrated on a character talking, but in the background you see something rising unfocused. That for me is scary because you know what it is, but the character doesn't know. So you're anticipating the reaction. A few more of these funny black and white movies and my view of B&W flicks will have changed.

After watching I decided to do some reading/studying. I love having a pen in hand writing. So I picked up An Actor Prepares by Constantin Stanislavski. The book itself is long winded and almost unbearable to read. So I'm taking notes. I'm only taking the important stuff and writing that down in my notebook. I don't understand why it has to be so filled with unnecessary "I want to be a true actor" rubbish. All this stuff about over dramatizing wanting to be an actor is making me feel sick. If I wanted to read some wimp's diary, I'd have picked up a trashy romance novel. So I'm taking what I need and throwing the rest out. Maybe I'll even create a website that has all the vital information from that book to save people from reading bad literature.

No comments: